You absolutely need this vegetable pasta bake in your life right now! Not only is it crazy good for you – but it’s packed with veggies, requires NO precooking whatsoever and tastes absolutely flippin’ delicious!! And just like my slow cooker vegetable soup and fresh tomato spaghetti, it’s also both vegetarian and vegan! Making it ideal if you’re taking part in Veganuary or want a sneaky veggie boost.
If that’s not enough, you can switch out regular pasta for gluten free to easily feed the coeliac sufferers in your life too! It’s definitely a winner winner vegetable dinner. Ok, so that doesn’t really work but you get what I mean haha…
After a fresher intake of vegetables? Try my rainbow pasta salad on for size! Need to make it vegan? Simply switch out the mayo & sour cream for 150g of vegan mayonnaise.
Just how easy is this vegetable pasta bake to make?
INSANELY easy! You don’t even have to precook the pasta. Yep, you heard me right. The hardest thing is chopping up a little veg, that’s it. In fact, you could do that in a food processor to make it even easier. Then it’s simply a case of dump and bake. I love recipes like this!
Can I change the veggies in this vegetable pasta bake?
Absolutely! Just make sure to try and keep things chopped on the small side to ensure they will cook through. The idea of this meal is to utilise whatever leftovers you have to avoid waste.
Can I change the sauce in a vegetable pasta bake?
Of course you can! I try and avoid using jars where I can, hence the tinned tomatoes. If you really want to kick this vegetable pasta bake off with a bang – I highly recommend making Auntie Cathy’s incredible balsamic roasted tomato pasta sauce and using that instead. It tastes unbelievable!
What makes this vegetable pasta bakes better than all the others?
- It’s made in one dish so there’s hardly any pots to wash.
- No need to precook the pasta or veggies.
- It’s super healthy for you!
- You can use up leftover veggies.
- It’s cheap to make.
- Perfect for Veganuary.
Top Tips for Making Vegetable Pasta Bake
- Make sure you chop the vegetables quite small – around the 1 cm square mark or less. This ensures they will be cooked at the same time as the pasta.
- Don’t have time to chop? Use the chopping attachment on your food processor to speed things up.
- Don’t forget to cover the dish with foil for the first part of cooking. This helps to cook the pasta and vegetables through whilst preventing the sauce from thickening too much in the process.
- Stir it well before topping with the ‘cheese’ and breadcrumbs to avoid any uneven cooking.
How to make an Easy One Dish Vegetable Pasta Bake
Here is what you will need to serve 4.
(For a printer friendly version, see the recipe card at the end of this post)
- 1/2 Red Pepper, Finely Diced
- 1/2 Yellow Pepper, Finely Diced
- 1/2 Courgette, Finely Diced
- 1/2 Small Onion, Finely Diced
- 200g (7 oz) Dried Penne Pasta
- 1 x 400g (14 oz) Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 400ml (1 + 2/3 Cup) Vegetable Stock
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- 30g (1/3 Cup) Grated Vegan Cheese, Optional *
- 1 tbsp Dried Breadcrumbs, Optional
- 26 cm Round Oven Proof Dish (or similar)
*You can absolutely use regular cheese if you don’t need to make it vegan.
First thing’s first, let’s preheat that oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C.
Now onto the veggies! If you haven’t already, finely dice the red pepper (1/2), yellow pepper (1/2), courgette (1/2) and onion (1/2 small). Try and keep them less than 1 cm square, particularly the courgette. This ensures it will cook through.
Tip all that wonderful veg into your oven proof dish.
Now it’s time to add in that pasta (200g | 7 oz).
Then stir in the chopped tomatoes (1 x 400g | 14 oz tin), vegetable stock (400ml | 1 + 2/3 Cup) and Italian seasoning (2 tsp).
Add a generous helping of salt and pepper then give it all a really good stir.
Finally, cover it with foil and bake for 25 minutes in the preheated oven. It should be about three quarters cooked when you take off the foil.
How to Finish a Vegetable Pasta Bake
Go ahead and give it a really good stir to make sure everything will cook evenly then scatter over the vegan cheese (30g | 1/3 Cup) and 1 tbsp of dried breadcrumbs. Pop back into the oven, uncovered, for approx 15-20 mins to allow the pasta and vegetables to finish cooking and the vegan cheese/breadcrumbs to become golden. Of course you can always use regular cheese if you don’t require it to be suitable for vegans.
If you choose not to add the “cheese”/breadcrumbs, simply remove the foil and cook for a further 15-20 mins until the pasta and vegetables are cooked through.
And there you have it! A beautiful, healthy meal that will not only please the family but please your body too!
Have you Made This Recipe?
I LOVE it when you share what you’ve made! You can get in touch by leaving a comment below, tagging me on social media or sending me an email. I don’t mind how, I just love hearing from you!
Love this recipe? Pin it!
- 1/2 Red Pepper, (Finely Diced)
- 1/2 Yellow Pepper, (Finely Diced)
- 1/2 Courgette, (Finely Diced)
- 1/2 Small Onion, (Finely Diced)
- 200 g Dried Penne Pasta
- 400 g Tin Chopped Tomatoes
- 400 ml Vegetable Stock
- 2 tsp Italian Seasoning
- Salt & Pepper
- 30 g Grated Vegan Cheese, (Optional)
- 1 tbsp Dried Breadcrumbs, (Optional)
- 1 26 cm Round Oven Proof Dish , (or similar)
- Preheat your oven to 200°C/Fan 180°C.
- Place the diced red pepper, yellow pepper, courgette and onion into the oven proof dish along with the pasta.
- Pour in the tinned tomatoes, stock, Italian seasoning and a generous sprinkling of salt & pepper. Mix well then cover in foil.
- Bake for 25 mins then remove the foil and stir really well. Scatter oven the vegan cheese & breadcrumbs.
- Bake uncovered for a further 15 minutes until cooked through and golden on top. Serve immediately.
For US measurements please see the recipe within the blog post.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases at no extra cost to you.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 148Total Fat: 2gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 427mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 7gProtein: 6g
Nutritional information on kitchenmason.com should only be used as a general guideline, I am not a certified nutritionist. Please always check labels for allergens where applicable.