Fresh, delicious and quick to prepare, this easy tomato salsa recipe is the perfect accompaniment for SO many things! (Particularly loaded homemade nachos!) It’s also very healthy and naturally gluten free/vegan, meaning no one needs to miss out as everyone can enjoy it.
Using perfectly ripe tomatoes is absolutely key to making beautiful tomato salsa. In fact, using the best, freshest ingredients you can find/afford will put you in a good place to make the most amazing fresh tomato salsa!
Just image it with some guacamole on your fajitas and tacos, inside your burritos and all over loaded homemade nachos, in salads and sandwiches… the uses for this delicately simple dish are endless! I even spooned some on top of cheese on toast and, I can tell you now… it was like little bites of heaven. Exquisite!
The most important part of this recipe for me is to do nothing. Yes, you heard me right! Make sure you put this bad boy in the fridge and allow those flavours to develop for a few hours. So yes – sit back, relax and do nothing while your salsa and the fridge work the marvellous magic. It’ll be the best decision you ever made!
How to make fresh tomato salsa
It really is very simple when you break it down…
- Quarter, deseed and chop the tomatoes.
- Finely dice the onion and mince the garlic.
- Mix it all in a bowl along with a little olive oil.
- Let marinade for a while so the flavours can mellow. Yep – do nothing and let the magic happen!
- Add some freshly chopped coriander and serve.
That really is it! So simple yet SO scrumptious!
Fresh tomato salsa recipe ingredients
Because there are so few ingredients in tomato salsa, the quality of the ones you buy really does matter.
- Tomatoes – Buy the freshest, most ripe tomatoes you can get your hands on. They are the most vital ingredient in a tomato salsa recipe and you want it to taste great right? So skip those watery tasting ‘salad tomatoes’ and head straight for the ‘on the vine’ variety instead.
- Onion – The onion is mainly to compliment the tomatoes so it’s personal preference really. Just a regular white onion works perfectly and, if you leave the salsa to marinade after you’ve made it, the harshness fades and you’re left with a wonderfully rounded onion flavour instead.
- Garlic – I LOVE garlic and like a healthy amount in my food so used a large clove. If you’re less of a fan, use a small clove instead.
- Olive Oil – This is more important for the flavour than you think. The olive oil coats every piece of your tomato salsa so contributes quite largely in the way of flavour. Use a good quality olive oil if you can afford it.
- Fresh Coriander – Use the freshest, greenest coriander you can get to add a wonderfully fresh and clean flavour to your salsa.
Other ways to use tomato salsa / recipes it would go well with
Fresh tomato salsa recipe tips
- Use the best ingredients you can afford. With so few ingredients, there’s little to hide behind in this recipe.
- Once made, put your tomato salsa, covered, in the fridge for a few hours (or overnight) to allow the flavours to mellow. It takes away that harsh onion flavour and makes it taste incredible!
- Don’t skip the coriander. It’s adds a beatiful freshness to the dish that shouldn’t be overlooked.
- Not a fan of coriander? Use fresh parsley instead.
- Do NOT switch fresh herbs out for dried ones. It just won’t taste the same.
- Make sure you use ripe tomatoes. Hard, unripe tomatoes don’t work well in a fresh tomato salsa recipe.
Fresh Tomato Salsa Recipe
Here is what you will need to make approx 350g.
(For a printer friendly version, see the recipe card at the end of this post)
- 4 x Large Ripe Tomatoes
- 1/2 Small Onion
- 1 x Garlic Clove
- 2 tbsp Olive Oil
- Handful of Fresh Coriander
- Sharp Knife
- Chopping Board
- Small Bowl
First and foremost, let’s prep those veggies.
Quarter the tomatoes (4 x large) with a sharp knife on a chopping board then scrape out all the seeds.
Next, chop them all into small pieces (about 1cm square) and place into a small bowl.
Now peel and finely dice the onion (1/2 small) and mince the garlic (1 x clove).
Add them both into the bowl with the tomatoes.
Then add the olive oil (2 tbsp) and give everything a really thorough mix.
At this point, I implore you to cover it and place into the fridge for a few hours to allow those flavours to mellow and develop. Trust me, this is the secret weapon in making incredible tomato salsa!
Then, when you are ready to serve it, roughly chop some fresh coriander (handful) and mix it through the salsa.
And there you have it! It’s as simple as that. Super fresh, super healthy and super delicious fresh tomato salsa. YUM! If you don’t use it all, it will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
Have you made this recipe?
Will this healthy and delicious tomato salsa recipe be topping your tacos? I’d love to know if it is! Send me your pics and comments on Facebook, Twitter & Instagram or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Like hassle free cooking?
You need the right equipment! Check out my favourite products for hassle free cooking.
Loved this recipe? Pin it!
4 x Large Ripe Tomatoes, deseeded and chopped
1/2 Small Onion, finely diced
1 x Garlic Clove, minced
2 tbsp Olive Oil
Handful of Fresh Coriander, roughly chopped
- Place the deseeded chopped tomatoes into a small bowl along with the diced onion, minced garlic and olive oil.
- Mix thoroughly then cover and place in the fridge to marinade for a few hours. (This let's the flavours mellow and develop.)
- Just before serving, add a handful of freshly chopped coriander and mix well.
This will keep covered in the fridge for up to 3 days.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4
Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving:Calories: 100Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 16mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 3gSugar: 5gProtein: 2g
Nutritional information on kitchenmason.com should only be used as a general guideline, I am not a certified nutritionist. Please always check labels for allergens where applicable.
Enjoyed this post? You’ll love…
Fresh Tomato Chutney & Naan Dippers
Quick and Easy Guacamole
Easy Loaded Homemade Nachos
As featured on Julia’s Simply Southern Meal Plan Monday #204